The MODO ship has landed

When my husband and I finally deemed ourselves "ready" to start a family, nothing could fully prepare us for what that one little word entailed. Once our first daughter was born, I magically obtained the identity of Super Mom, trying to take on the world one temper tantrum at a time. Typical of our kind, I soon found I was putting everyone else's needs before my own.

Then came the birth of our second daughter, transforming me into a MODO (Mother of Daughters Only). Let the sagas of raising two girls begin! ...The emotional outbursts, pigtail pulling, boy drama, and catty girl cliques... It's bound to be quite an adventure, and made me realize the importance of finding a release. And so, a blog was born!

My stories are plucked straight from my personal experiences as a mother. But also as a professional writer with a background in the natural health industry, I may at times share some tidbits on healthy living simply because it's something I’ve grown passionate about.

Take it from me, a mom attempting to survive the preschool years while also tip-toeing around a testy toddler, building a solid support team can help save your sanity and your health. So leave the cape in the closet, laugh, learn and lollygag in a little "me-time."





Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Autumn Comforts Call For Apple Crisp

One of the things I love about fall is the amazing comfort foods….and the blessing to eat them. Why is it suddenly okay to not feel so guilty about such things this time of year? Well, we Mid-westerns gotta stay warm somehow! It’s time to add on a few layers for winter.

I joke, but once that autumn chill is in the air, it definitely brings cravings for all things warm, sweet, rich and creamy. The body wants what it wants!

One of my absolute favorite fall-time desserts is apple crisp. I’m sure you’ve all had a version or two of it at one time or another—maybe your mom’s special recipe or one passed down for generations. The latest blend of delectable apples, brown sugar, oatmeal and cinnamon I’ve had the pleasure to devour was a recipe that came from my friend Micaela and it may very well be the recipe I pass down for generations to come. It’s hands-down the best darn apple crisp I’ve ever tasted! It has not just one, but two delicious layers of crust—one on top and one on the bottom—which, in my opinion, is this recipe’s ultimate attraction.

Serve it at your next gathering and I can assure you, there won’t be a crumb to spare.

Here’s how it’s done:

Crust:
2 ½ cups flour
2 ¼ cups brown sugar
1 ¼ cups butter (softened)
2 ¼ cups oatmeal
2 ½ tsp cinnamon

Mix till crumbly.

Filling:
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
2 Tbl corn starch or flour
1 tsp vanilla

Cook till clear. Then add 5 cups of cut-up apples.

Press ½ crust mixture into a greased 9"x13” pan. Cover crust with the filling. Top with remaining crust mixture and pat lightly. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Try it and let me know what you think!

Coming soon, I have an amazing cookie recipe to share. It's been touted as America's Healthiest Cookie, but I can attest that it tastes anything but. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment