The MODO ship has landed

When my husband and I finally deemed ourselves "ready" to start a family, nothing could fully prepare us for what that one little word entailed. Once our first daughter was born, I magically obtained the identity of Super Mom, trying to take on the world one temper tantrum at a time. Typical of our kind, I soon found I was putting everyone else's needs before my own.

Then came the birth of our second daughter, transforming me into a MODO (Mother of Daughters Only). Let the sagas of raising two girls begin! ...The emotional outbursts, pigtail pulling, boy drama, and catty girl cliques... It's bound to be quite an adventure, and made me realize the importance of finding a release. And so, a blog was born!

My stories are plucked straight from my personal experiences as a mother. But also as a professional writer with a background in the natural health industry, I may at times share some tidbits on healthy living simply because it's something I’ve grown passionate about.

Take it from me, a mom attempting to survive the preschool years while also tip-toeing around a testy toddler, building a solid support team can help save your sanity and your health. So leave the cape in the closet, laugh, learn and lollygag in a little "me-time."





Friday, October 1, 2010

To Fall, With Love

Ahhhh… Fall, why have you kept me waiting so long?

I love everything about you—the cool, crisp air you blow through my hair, how you make me smile just looking at your vivid beauty—the blazing oranges… bold, fiery reds… sunbursts of yellow and gold… You’re absolutely breathtaking. I want to embrace everything about you. It’s amazing what energy you give me as I breathe in the intoxicating smells of crumbling leaves, fireplaces ablaze, apples ripe and juicy, your comforting casseroles, chili, apple crisp and cinnamon stirred cider. Your natural sounds of crunching leaves and geese honking overhead provide the perfectly calming background melodies to my afternoon walks. The days of endless entertainment you bestow upon us...the festivals, visits to apple orchards and pumpkin patches, trick-or-treating, wine tasting, hay rides and bonfires… I’m forever thankful for your presence and wish you’d stay awhile longer. I don’t mean to disrespect, but tell Old Man Winter to stick it. It’s you I want, Fall, for just a month or two longer.

There are a lot of reason people like living in Wisconsin – the Badgers, the Packers, the cheese, the brats, the beer, family, good farmland, good schools, good paper, hard workers and friendly faces. For me, I suppose it’s a combination of all of those, but it’s the change of seasons, (and family of course) that keep me grounded here. Truth be told, as much as I bash winter, I’d miss it if I didn’t have it. But, seriously, why must you stick around so long? If you haven’t gathered from my ode to autumn, it’s the season I love most of all. Always have. It’s a time of year I look forward to with giddy anticipation after a hot, humid summer. And it’s a time I forget how much I’ve missed when that first cool breeze kisses my nose.

For my family, the month of October kicks off all kinds of fall-time fun. Ella has constantly been asking when she can jump into a pile of leaves. Our trees are still fully loaded so we have a few more weeks to go. But that little girl was so desperate for a frolic the other day that she took out her little rake and scrounged up every fallen leaf she could find and made one very pathetic heap. She didn’t care. She jumped right in with a huge smile on her face and threw those 20 or so leaves up in the air with the pure joy that autumn brings.

Jaisa is still taking it all in. We went for a walk on the Fox River Trail yesterday and I kept putting freshly fallen leaves in the tray on her stroller. She got all excited and started patriotically waving them about like little flags. It’s quite possible that both my girls got it bad for fall just like their mom.

In the weeks ahead, the family and I will be discussing (and hopefully deciding on) Halloween costumes, picking out pumpkins, visiting our absolute favorite apple orchard (it’s not just apples, folks), creating mountains of Halloween crafts, gorging ourselves on caramel apples and candy, and of course later giving thanks for every last bit of it.

Fall, I’m so crushing on you right now.

Got a favorite season? What are some of your favorite traditions?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jess,
    It's very early morning again (4:30 am) before I leave for work. Decided to check in with your site, I enjoyed reading about the fall season. I didn't used to care for it because it meant my hay-fever too, was coming. That doesn't seem to be so bad as I get older and fall has fast become my favorite season also, and for all the reasons you mention...although a lot more eloquently. And since I am now into citrus colors as my newest favorites, (yellow, green, orange)for probably the last year for sure, the fall season falls right into my favorite fall eye-candy. Must leave for work now, have a wonderful day. Love Bucky

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all things good, there inevitably comes some bad. I know a lot of allergy sufferers like yourself probably don't share quite the same sentiments that I do about fall. And sure, we could all complain about having to rake leaves. I'm not a big fan myself. But I'm glad to see that you've decided to enjoy the beauty of fall like I have. Take in all the "eye candy" you can while we have it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Jess- I absolutely LOVE fall. It is my favorite time of year as well. Many people don't like it as it is a sign for the long winter months ahead, but I wait for the hot and humid to get over with just so I can spend time outside among all the fall colors and smells. Now with a child of my own, I can have a ton more fun!

    Have a wonderful fall season with your family! Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that you too are a Fall Fanatic like myself, Nicole. It really is such a fun time of the year...and it seems to just get more and more fun with children to share the experience with. I find that I enjoy things so much more when looked at through the eyes of my girls. I'm sure you're discovering that very blessing with your own child. It's like seeing everything for the first time (again). Keep enjoying the season together!

    ReplyDelete